On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 07:06:45PM +0300, Eyal Ben-David wrote:
> I tried today "urpmi printer_drivers" with the hope that urpmi would recognize
> the pseudo package. But it didn't...
>
> in CPAN (www.cpan.org - perl package archive) there is a notion of a pseudo
> package usually with the prefix "Bundle::"
>
> I think it can be a nice addition to URPMI to add this bundle functionality.
> For example:
>
>       urpmi Bundle::glibc
>
> would install all the glibc related packages and
>
>       urpmi --with-devel Bundle::glibc
>
> would install all glibc packages + development packages
>
> I think that there are many group of packages that can be bundled together to
> a bundle (gcc, XFree86, printer_drivers, gnome2 etc).
>
> I thought a bit of the implementation. It looks like that this feature is not
> difficult to implement. A bundles section in the *.list files + additional
> code in URPM that add the packages of the bundle to the package list.

Actually you can implement bundles with urpmi just by creating empty
packages that require other packages. :)

But yeah this would be a nice thing to do in the future...

This might be the solution to the dreaded "suggestion" vs "required"
issue.  Take say mutt.  You could make a bundle for mutt that would pull
in things like urlview which isn't really required but is nice.  Power
users that don't want all the requirements can just install it the
hard way...

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

If your love has no hope of being welcomed do not voice it; for if it
be silent it can endure, a guarded flame, within you.
- The Wisdom of the Sands