COOL!  You solved it better than I did!

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 20:09, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> export LC_COLLATE=POSIX

When I was trying to solve this, I thought I had gone through every LC_
variable and unset it, did an ls, then on to the next.  I totally missed
LC_COLLATE.  That is the ONLY one that needs to be set to "C" or
"POSIX".

THANK YOU!!!  Now I don't have to hack my X11 startup scripts anymore,
just need to set that in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

> You're absolutely right Lonnie.  Thanks for that information and my
> apologies for falsely maligning Mandrake.  What I do now is add the
> following lines to /etc/profile:
> export LANG=en_GB
> export LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> export LC_MESSAGES=en_GB
> export LC_MONETARY=en_GB
> export LC_TIME=en_GB
> export LC_COLLATE=POSIX

All you have to do is put all that into /etc/sysconfig/i18n so all
things on the system that set locales will see it - not everything uses
/etc/profile.

TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger