    D> The frauenhofer page I've seen doesn't say, all it does is give
    D> different royalty rates for decoders depending on whether or
    D> not they're based on frauenhoffer code.

The only mention of this I can find on DayPop is a 1999 article on
mp3.com:

   Only two prominent MP3 encoders for UNIX remained: Fraunhofer IIS'
   own MP3Enc and the freely available BladeEnc. How did BladeEnc
   survive the royalties crunch?

   The answer lies in geography. Tord Jansson has been developing
   BladeEnc in Sweden, where the government does not honor patents on
   algorithms. The MP3 standard is an algorithm for encoding audio,
   and therefore, Jansson is not required to pay royalties for his
   encoder.

   http://www.mp3.com/news/264.html

What has changed?  Why do we not just continue to use the BladeEnc?
For that matter, why don't we all just move to Sweden!

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> TeleDynamics Communications Inc
 Business Advantage through Community Software : http://www.teledyn.com