Brad Felmey wrote:
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 01:33, pbrown wrote:

Back in march I got my matrox G450 dual head working properly in 8.2/KDE
thanx to your help as the email below indicates.  Specifically I just needed
to turn on xinerama in the KDE config.  Now with 9.0B1 thru 9.0RC1 I am
having similar/worse problems - the xinerama option is greyed out even if
chosen during install or XFdrake.   The G450 or G400 dual head (I tryed both)
are not installed correctly with XFdrake but if I import my old XF86Config-4
(or the available matrox driver) it seems to work properly until I open
certain apps at which point that app freezes requiring an xkill.  Konsole and
kpackage are some of the apps that lock when using my old XF86Config-4 and it
does not seem useable this way.  It is interesting that the first 1 or 2
instances of Konsole lock up but after that I can open it many times with no
problem until the next time I restart KDE.   These apps work fine in single
screen mode either "mirror" or one display mode.

I would like to know how to configure a G450 or G400 for dual head multi
display (xinerama) under 9.0RC1.

A working XF86Config-4 file for 9.0/this card might help me understand what
is wrong.

I thank you for any help you can give or if this issue is corrected in the
next RC.  I can reproduce this problem and provide more info if needed.

Turn off xfs, remove the entry for it in XF86Config-4, and manually list
your font paths. Xinerama+xfs is evil in v4.2.

for dual-head, heavy changes has been made in 4.2.1 but I don't think it will be included in MDK9.0.
for me, 4.2.1 is essential. I'm using Xinerama on ATI Radeon Mobility M6 and it does work only on this latest XFree version.

Xinerama has been gretly enhanced in this last release.

        Mantis.