On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 16:46, Elliott Martin wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Brad Felmey wrote:

> > > Nope. "Is close to full up" is fine, and standard English usage. You
> > > could also use "Is close to being full" or even just "Is nearly full",
> > > but "Close to full up" is just fine.
> >
> > I think this is one of those times when en_GB and en_US diverge a bit.
> > It may sound completely appropriate to you, yet in the US it sounds
> > quite awkward.
>
> The reason its sounds screwy to the non-english speakers, and alright to
> the english, but totally screwed to the americans, is because of the up on
> the end. "Is close to full up" vs "Is close to full". I can't remember
> exactly what that's called, but there's a name for that type of
> grammatical error.

It's not an error, just a difference in idiomatic usage; you would call
a gasoline tank full whereas we would call a petrol tank full up.
Perhaps we could call the partition 'spatially inconvenienced' ;)

I suspect you might be confusing this situation with ending a sentence
with a preposition, which is usually frowned on as doing so is clumsy
but, strictly, not incorrect.

As Winston Churchill once memorably wrote on coming across such a
situation, 'this is the sort of English up with which I will not put'!

Alastair