On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:58, Brad Felmey wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 05:26, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 06:30, Quel Qun wrote:
> >
> > > Since then I also noticed during the install the description of partmon
> > > service: "Checks if a partition is close to full up".
> > >
> > > Please check, but I think "is close to fill up" would sound better. or
> > > "is getting full".
> >
> > Nope. "Is close to full up" is fine, and standard English usage. You
> > could also use "Is close to being full" or even just "Is nearly full",
> > but "Close to full up" is just fine.
>
> I think this is one of those times when en_GB and en_US diverge a bit.
> It may sound completely appropriate to you, yet in the US it sounds
> quite awkward.

Yeah, from all the Americans wondering if i'm mad it seems it's a GB
idiom. Odd, I always assumed it was universal. In that case it's
probably best to change it, any of the other alternatives I mentioned
would be fine..."is nearly full" is probably the simplest option.

BTW, whoever suggested "is close to fill up" is off the ball, since
"fill up" is a verb and the form "fill up" is either the infinitive or a
naked participle, you can't use it like that. It'd have to be "is close
to filling up" if you wanted to put it that way. But that's still
idiomatic, i'd definitely suggest "is nearly full" or something similar.
--
adamw