On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 10:43, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> > (13) 3D acceleration: whatever does this refer to?
> > why would 3.3.6 give 3D, but not 4.2.0, and why is it "experimental"?
>
> There is no free software 3d acceleration for nvidia in XFree-4,
> while there was an experimental one in XFree-3.3.

Personally I think this section should be changed to make it *REALLY*
clear that X 3.3.6 really isn't recommended. The wording here could well
lead a newbie to choose 3.3.6, thinking it's the best option, whereas it
definitely isn't (I know this because it's exactly what I did the first
time I installed Mandrake); the 3D acceleration in 3.3.6 is pants anyway
and unusable for most things you'd want 3D acceleration for, and 4.2.0
is so much better in other areas that everyone should use it unless they
have a really pressing reason not to. Perhaps it could make this more
clear, and also mention the availability of closed-source drivers for
4.2.0 providing proper 3D support, which would hopefully mean less
people would make my mistake.
--
adamw