On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 10:51, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> Adam Williamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > There is no free software 3d acceleration for nvidia in XFree-4,
> > > while there was an experimental one in XFree-3.3.
> >
> > Personally I think this section should be changed to make it *REALLY*
> > clear that X 3.3.6 really isn't recommended. The wording here could well
> > lead a newbie to choose 3.3.6, thinking it's the best option, whereas it
> > definitely isn't (I know this because it's exactly what I did the first
> > time I installed Mandrake); the 3D acceleration in 3.3.6 is pants anyway
> > and unusable for most things you'd want 3D acceleration for, and 4.2.0
>
> It's tagged "experimental". If people choose it, it's on purpose!

Except this is clearly not the case, as I demonstrated. It's perfectly
feasible that someone who isn't experienced could choose 3.3.6,
reasoning that experimental 3D acceleration is better than none at all,
which is exactly what I did. I'm sure others have too.

> > is so much better in other areas that everyone should use it unless they
> > have a really pressing reason not to. Perhaps it could make this more
> > clear, and also mention the availability of closed-source drivers for
> > 4.2.0 providing proper 3D support, which would hopefully mean less
> > people would make my mistake.
>
> When you buy the powerpack, you have the proprietary drivers in
> the commercial CD's, and I think the drivers are automatically
> installed (it's bad, but too many customers ask for it).

Fine, but this doesn't solve the installation of 3CD edition, which
gives no indication at all that such drivers exist. It doesn't have to
INCLUDE them, just point out that they exist and are a far better choice
for NVIDIA 3D acceleration.
--
adamw