Just an update.  I ran across an idea from a forum on the net
and put garbage in smtpd.conf and postfix/smtpd complains.
That says smtpd is reading the file and permissions are ok.
SASL apparently doesn't use what's there.  I've tried it with
pwcheck_method: pam, pwcheck_method: saslauthd, and
pwcheck_method: sasldb.  I still get:
"SASL LOGIN authentication failed".

I copied an /etc/pam.d/smtp file from a friend's 8.1/8.2 system
I helped set up, mine was removed when I upgraded, and no joy.
I started saslauthd -pam -T -d (debug mode) and it gave no
messages.  (There is no documentaion on saslauthd switches. :-(

My conclusion is that whoever packaged the postfix? rpm knows
enough about what changed to remove /etc/pam.d/smtp and rename
/usr/lib/smtpd.conf to smtpd.conf.rpmsave.  Why do this?  I think
it's supposed to authenticate through saslauthd now, but it doesn't
for some reason.

Anyone have any clues?

Bill Shirley

PS. Thanks for the responses.