Hello,

This is probably a faq, but will someone please help me understand the
Relation between 'Cooker' and 'Release' ?

I know that the packages in 'cooker' are a work in progress and that 'contrib'
never gets the status of 'stable release'.  In the past I have just waited
until the 'stable' ISO's are available and then downloaded them. Now, after
using rsync to help update my server (from 'updates') on a nightly basis, I
begin to understand just how much work goes on behind the scenes.  Updating
packages seems to be a full time job for those thankless programmers and the
Mandrake archive maintainers.

So, in the spirit of frequent updates, i'd like to have a better understanding
of the difference between 'cooker' and 'release'. Is it as simple as:

1) Freeze the codebase
2) Work out the bugs with beta's and RC's
3) Take a snapshot of the 'cooker' files on a given day
4) Create ISO's with the aforementioned snapshot

Thanks for the clarification ...

--
Sincerely,

Trent M. Gunnarson