On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, alan wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, John Allen wrote:
>
> > Having tried both the NVIDIA 1.0 2960, and 3123 builds with MDK 9.0 RC3,
> > OpenGL apps crash quite easily. The 2960 build is working fine on the
> > same machine with the stock 8.2 kernel.
> >
> > So either their is a problem with the kernel, or gcc 3.2 when compiling
> > NVIDIA drivers.
> >
> > Anybody got any ideas; I'd most likely blame gcc 3.2
>
> I would blame GCC 3.2 as well.  Redhat 8.0 beta does the same thing.
>
> Due to the weird problems I have had, I am not moving to any distribution
> that uses GCC 3.2 until the bugs are worked out.

Maybe you should rather ensure that this isn't either a:
1)Hardware issue
2)need for an updated bios
or something similar being exposed (but not caused) by gcc3.2 (like some
of the bugs with ide chipsets exposed by the i586-compiled kernels, found
by Mandake ...).

I personally have 2 machines running cooker on NVidia cards (TNT2,
GeForce2MX) with the NVidia binary drivers, and have tested on
GeForce4Ti's at work, and have't seen one X crash since I started running
cooker (soon after 8.2 release).

I am sure there are a lot of other people who do too.

All other problems have turned out to not be Mandrake bugs, but rather one
of the two issues above.

If you can give a meaningful bug report that can show otherwise, that
would help, but otherwise please check that the issue isn't something
else.

Buchan