> I will test RC3 tonight, but previous releases (RC1 and RC2) and also
> LM 8.2 had broken Xfree86 4.2 with a ATI Mach64 VT. No matter what >
> resolution and color depth I choose, the result is a black screen >
> without image in the installation phase; also X refuse to start at >
> all. These Mandrake revisions work with Xfree 3.3, but previously the
> server had Mandrake 8.1 with XFree 4.1 and it worked without problem.
> Also RedHat Null worked without problem and using XFree 4.2 (the only
> one included with it if I'm right). I do not post the error earlier  >
> since I tried to reinstall the server two days ago.

that problem has been around since 8.2. None of my older ATIs work with
LM's X4.2. I reverted back to the drivers from 4.1 that came with LM8.1.
My cards are Mach64 CT and VT both 2MB. When X starts the screen just
goes black. However, X is starting without errors, you can eventually
hear the KDE startup sound.

Thing is, there were ati_old drivers with 8.2, I just couldn't make them
work. I needed to get the two machines working so I just made an rpm
that replaces these drivers with the ones from 8.1. I still use this rpm
with 9.0.

I can't tell how severe this problem is as it was only few times
reported over at aolm. And it doesn't seem to affect all Mach64 cards.
If you don't want to hassle with older X4 drivers you can still use X3's
Mach64 server.

- Mark