I also have problems with other distro's.  RedHat 7.3 graphical install
refuse to start after all.  I cannot send the log file right now since the
computer is at work, but as soon as I reinstall LM 9 RC 3 on the server
tomorrow, I will send you the file.

BTW, the server is a Dell PowerEdge 4200, 300Mhz P2, dual processor board,
but with a single CPU right now, 512MB Ram, ATI Mach64 VT but do not
remember right now if it is onboard or slot and eigher if it comes with 1 or
2 MB of RAM.  But what I remember is that with either XFree 4.1 of LM 8.1 or
XFree 3.3.x from LM 8.1 or later it gives me 800x600 at 65K colors.  And I
don't think the problem is the refresh rate (it could be) since the monitor
is one of the latest Dell 15' and I tried even a standard 640x480 display in
X without sucess.