I think one positive point is that the Beta/RC cycle was much longer this
time round, giving people a lot more time to find problems and report them.
With 8.2 the Beta/RC cycle was very quick, so a lot of problems made it
through to the final release that franckly should not have been there.
Hopefully the greater care that was taken this time around should be
reflected in a better quality release - watch this space for further
comments.

I've already seem some of the responses, can I add my voice to those saying
that having multiple error reporting routes is not helpful. Personally I
think the Cooker list is the best place for this sort of thing, particularly
since many of the people who post here will also continue to play a role
in-between releases. Continuity and continuous testing is the theme I'm
trying to get at here.

Another issue is feedback. If someone has gone to the trouble of reporting a
bug then a simple acknowledgement can go a long way to keeping them
motivated. In addition acknowledging help in the change logs would also be a
good thing - I noticed Pixel doing this, but I can't remember anyone else
doing so.

Whether BugZilla should continue to be used I don't know - used properly it
could be a powerful problem reporting and monitoring tool, but I don't think
its been used properly by anyone (and that goes for the user community as
well as Mandrake people). What is needed is discipline - the user community
needs to be more careful reporting bugs, and Mandrake needs to use BugZilla
to provide feedback w.r.t. problem status and solution. Can we get that sort
of discipline? I don't know.

Finally can I say that the impressions I've had of 9.0 indicate that
Mandrake has done a tremendous job. As a software professional I am more
than aware of the problems you can get on handling a project of that scale,
the fact that you have achieved so much speaks very highly of everyone
concerned. Early this year I was actually thinking of switching to another
distro (due to the problems with 8.2), but you have gone a long way to
renewing my confidence in Mandrake.

Well done, now get some rest (and a large drink).

Alan