Please remove my name from the mailing list

 Frederic Soulier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

Hi

I have been trying to setup LM9.0 using LVM with no success so far...
The box is a vanilla Dell 4100 with a 20Gb HD, 256MB Ram & P3 933MHz

The first pbm is that / cannot be part of the LVM... (had no pbm having
/ part of the LVM on RH (null) and Gentoo.

Scenario A
----------
1) ran fdisk /dev/hda from tomsrtbt and created
- a Linux extended partition (0x85) containing:
swap 700Mb
/boot 30Mb Linux native (0x82)
/ 250Mb Linux native (0x82)
LVM remaining of space (0x8e)
2) started the LM installer
3) during the partitioning step:
- changed the / type (0x82) to ReiserFS
- selected the LVM "Add to LVM" and named it "lv1"
(a new tab "lv1" appeared alongside "hda")
- selected the "lv1" tab
- created the following for the LVM:
- /usr 5500Mb ReiserFS
- /home 3500Mb ReiserFS
- /opt 2500Mb ReiserFS
- /var 4200Mb ! ReiserFS
- /tmp 1200Mb ReiserFS
- clicked "done"
- Selected all partitions to be formatted incl. extra checks
for bad blocks for the swap and /boot
- made a prayer and clicked ok

after a while I get an error that /dev/hda7 (/ in this scenario) cannot
be formatted...
Tried to go back and clear all the partitions to start again and I got
error msgs "lvremove failed" (or something equivalent).
Tried to backtrack evenmore until drakdisk was up shit creek.

Rebooted under tomsrtbt and cleaned up all partitions then tried again
using only drakdisk from a clean disk, the bloody thing would not even
create the LVM (0x8e) partition...
Tried again with partioning from fdisk (tomsrtbt) and using same
partitioning as above with linux native type instead of ReiserFS, no
more success...

So basically, If someone had success setting up LVM in LM9.0 using only
drakdisk or a combination of fdisk/drakdisk then I'd like to hear fr! om
you :)

I cannot believe it's not working so maybe I'm not using drakdisk
correctly.

I've got a laptop using LVM from a RH (null) install and another box
using LVM from a Gentoo install (this box has 3 HDs) and both
installation worked 1st time.

What is wrong with drakdisk or with me ;)

Ideas, suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

/Fred

Do you Yahoo!?