I appreciate your kind words - but quite frankly, I'm not deep enough
into the development process (and not enough of a programmer) to truly
help.

I also spend an inordinate amount of time installing and re-installing
and testing various scenarios out - I can identify several problems
myself and fix them.  As a matter of fact - the HALF-DUPLEX problem with
the Xircom card - I know how to force it to FULL-Duplex after the boot -
but I was confused as to WHY the card starts in FULL-DUPLEX during the
Mandrake install process and not afterwords.  Seeing that "other"
distros never seemed to have this issue - I didn't understand the
rationale for disabling this in the Mandrake development cycle.

As for comparing more than one distribution against Mandrake to find out
how they did it . . . This is far too involved for my tastes.  I only
have so many machines at home and so much time - and having a family to
support I have to earn money too.

Linux is a fascination and partial hobby for me - I also recognize the
future potential of Linux and don't want to miss out when it becomes
more mainstream.

I consider myself more of a concerned consumer of Mandrake's efforts -
and want to contribute where I can.

Hopefully this makes sense . . .

Cheers,
R.Fox