On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 21:37, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On 3 Oct 2002, Frederic Soulier wrote:

> > > I'm such a dummy sometimes.  You have wins support turned on.  If you
> > > turn it off, you'll see that it will only spawn one nmbd.
> >

> Correct, samba normally starts up one nmbd, and an smbd per connection,
> and en extra nmdb when running WINS.

Well, My box at home has this pbm, my box at work does not...
Main diff is my box at home is a 2 CPUs P3 custom built (ran LM 8.0,
8,1, 8.2 and 9.0) and my box at work is 1 CPU P3 (Dell Dimension 4100)

> > OK fair enough but then there's a problem with "service smb stop" that
> > cannot handle this 2nd nmbd process correctly.
> >

> No, there's probably something wrong with your config.

testparm returns no error plus this is the same config I used on 8.2 :)

> > # service smb start
> > Starting SMB services:               [OK]
> > Starting NMB services:               [OK]
> >
> > # service smb status
> > smbd (pid 4094) is running...
> > nmbd (pid 4105) is running...
> > 4104 (pid ) is running...
> >

> pid 4104 is (probably) the one started by the init script, 4105 is the one
> spawned later.
>
> > # service smb stop
> > Shutting down SMB services:                               [OK]
> > Shutting down NMB services: /etc/init.d/smb: line 253: kill: (4105) No
> > such process
> >

> Somewhere between here and your previous command, something killed
> nmbd with pid 4105
>
> > # service smb status
> > smbd is stopped
> > nmbd (pid 4180) is running...
> >

> and for some reason you have another one running which wasn't running
> before, and shouldn't have been.
>

> I have an out-the box 9.0, with no configuration of samba:
>
> here I turn on wins support:
>
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> Check what was running before turning on WINS:
>
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb status
> smbd (pid 1800) is running...
> nmbd (pid 1812) is running...
>
> and restart it:
>
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb restart
> Shutting down SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting SMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
> Starting NMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb status
> smbd (pid 16954) is running...
> nmbd (pid 16965) is running...
> 16964 (pid ) is running...
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb stop
> Shutting down SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb status
> smbd is stopped
> nmbd is stopped
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb start
> Starting SMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
> Starting NMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb status
> smbd (pid 17067) is running...
> nmbd (pid 17084) is running...
> 17077 (pid ) is running...
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# ps -ax|grep [m]bd
> 17067 ?        S      0:00 smbd -D
> 17077 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D
> 17084 ?        S      0:00 nmbd -D
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# cat /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid
> 17077
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# service smb stop
> Shutting down SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]# ps -ax|grep [m]bd
> [root@bgmilne bgmilne]#

Just tried with smb.conf from LM9.0 installation with no modif. Only 1
smbd and 1 nmbd process created.
Then uncommented wins support = yes and restarted smb, this triggered
exactly the same pbm... bogus nmbd process.

> I take it you have done standard debugging, which with samba would be:
> 1)Run testparm to check for errors in your config file.
> 2)Turn up logging (at least 'log level = 3' in the global section of
> smb.conf), restart samba, and take a look in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd
> 3)Checked syslog etc
>
> I am 95% sure this is a configuration issue, as we haven't really modified
> the smb init script in a long time (in fact, I think it may be identical
> to the one shipped with Mandrake 8.2 in samba-2.2.3a-10mdk, our patch in
> Mandrake CVS which was applied in 2.2.3a-10mdk:
>

>http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/samba/Attic/samba-2.2.3a-init.patch
>
> went into samba CVS before the release of 2.2.4
>
>http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/packaging/Mandrake/smb.init?only_with_tag=SAMBA_2_2
> )
>

> If you still have errors, please either
> 1)Send your whole smb.conf (to me or [EMAIL PROTECTED], or both)
> if you made it with some tool like SWAT
> 2)If you have edited the smb.conf from the one provided by the rpm, you
> could diff your existing one against the provided winbind version (maybe
> we need to provide two copies of the default smb.conf in future, Sly?),
> which has limited known differences.
>
> $ diff -u /etc/samba/smb-winbind.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf

I'll check this.

> Also, some idea of your environment would be useful (other samba / windows
> servers, firewalled or not.

Other servers are:
   nfsd
   rpc.mounted
   cupsd
   crond
   rpc.statd
   sshd

Firewall is on a different box.

> P.S. There will probably be an update for samba in the works, for other
> reasons ...

Thanks for the help but I want to try a couple of things 1st then I'll
take on your offer ;) if still valid :)

Thanks

/Fred