On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Tim Stoop wrote:

 > Hi people,
 >
 > I upgraded my own desktop, a Athlon 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, NVidia GeForce2 DDR. In
 > 8.2, I had the NVidia GLX-package and NVidia kernel installed. After upgrade,
 > I had a hell of a time getting it all to work. Since the nvidia-driver for X
 > isn't shipped with Mandrake, it thought it would use the nv-driver. It
 > didn't. But when I changed XFConfig-4 to use the nv driver, X just exited
 > with a signal 11. Pretty confusing.
 >
 > So, after a little playing around, I decided to reboot into that "other OS"
 > and download the NVIDIA-GLX en NVIDIA-kernel packages from MandrakeClub
 > (never been happier about being a member!) and after install and changing
 > some of the values I changed to get it to work and running XFdrake, it
 > finally worked again.

 A few things that possibly can clarify the issue
 a) The NVidia drivers are proprietary and as such can't be shipped with
 Mandrake (at least with the download edition)
 b) the official "nv" driver at present does not work with the Geforce2Go
 c) there is a vesion of the "nv" driver in the Xfree86 CVS that works with
 your card, but I think without 3D acceleration (for more information,
 consult the archive of the linux-dell-laptop mailing list on Yahoo groups)
 d) At the time of rc3 I've made some NVidia rpm's (trivially rebuilds of
 the sources on that system) that TeXstar has uploaded on his site; in a
 while the NVidia official packages for 9.0 should be available from their
 website, but if needed I or someone else could make available their
 packages
 e) possibly we need to setup a contrib site for newbies: as soon as
 Mandrake ships with a new release, non-free drivers with detailed
 instruction on how to use them (for instance with nvidia you have to
 choose runlevel 3 etc.) must appear there.

 Biagio