OS ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Saturday 05 Oct 2002 6:24 pm, Peter Ruskin wrote:

> > > According to Version 2.2  of  the  Filesystem  Hierarchy  Standard
> > > (FHS), /root is not a requirement - it is  optional.  However,  if
> > > the root directory is used, it must be in /. 'root' CAN exist as a
> > > link to a directory or as a mounted partition.
> >
> > There. Thanks Bob. So there is no reason why /root should not be  on
> > a separate partition - just as I thought. Pixel, can you now  change
> > the installer to allow this?
>
> I agree ! I had to install a root directory in / and then copy it to a
> partition called /root !!

Well it seems to be a very low priority. I mean you  shouldn't  use  the
root account, you should use su/sudo so if you keep that  in  mind  your
/root should be rather empty.

I think most beginners don't know how to configure their shell  so  they
do what's ``logical'' to them and start customizing the root account.

On OpenBSD the default root-shell is csh and a lot of people panic  when
are confronted with a shell without history and tab-completion so it's a
faq where I wrote a document for:

  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/change_root_shell.html

Most of it applies to any unix.

The argument I heard that somebody uses it as a backup: Well you can use
another backup-partition and make a dir that is only readable by root.

So again I see no clear reason that you _must_ have a  /root  partition.
Not that it shouldn't be possible to have one according to the  FHS  but
it's very low priority to comply with it.

But perhaps I am missing something and can you folks present me  with  a
convincing argument that doesn't need multiple exclamationmarks.

Groetjes, Han.
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software