I can report some news on this undesirable problem
with the enterprise 2.4.19 kernel.
We have installed the new RedHat 8.0 on a dual athlon
with 1 GB of memory. We first verified that we could
reproduce the hard lock Mandrake 9.0. Then we installed
RedHat 8.0, and we have not yet been able to produce the
hard lock. We are probably going to make a similar test
with another motherboard to make sure that the problem
does not exist with RedHat 8.0.
RedHat states that their 2.4.18 kernel has pieces from
2.4.19 with -ac patches.

Bjarne Thomsen