"Trent M. Gunnarson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello All  :-)
>
> Since before the final release of ver.9, I've been working with several people
> on creating Mandrake ISOs using the MakeCD script and here's what I've found,
> with the help and verification of others;
>
> 1) While using a standard 8.2 install, the MakeCD script found in the ver.9
> distro tree will *not* create ver.9 ISOs.

I just installed a 8.2 and test, and it works for me, maybe try with the cooker
version.

> This leads me to say that maybe MakeCD/mkcd should be pulled from general use
> until its function can be replaced with a tool that is;
>
> 1) Standalone binary
> 2) Version independant

This is supposed to be the case, but as mkcd is still in development, it may
suffers some problem.

> When I found the MakeCD script, I had high hopes that I'd be able to rsync the
> package mirror and create ISO's when the the distro became *Final Release*,
> then I'd be able to upgrade my home network using the shiny new cds.  I've
> since discovered that in order to create cds, one needs to have already
> upgraded.  This seems a bit counterproductive.

I should not be the case. I even test MakeCD on a redhat 8.0 and it works.

> Also, wouldn't it be great if the mirrors only had to host either the ISOs
> *OR* the package tree and not both ? Wouldn't it be fantastic if newbies
> could download a simple package with no dependancies (maybe even work in
> windows) that would create a set of ISOs using wget or rsync instead of tying
> up the bandwidth for days getting ISO images whole ? How about a tool that
> would even take those ISOs that were created and *update* them ?

There are only ISOs for stable version, and to keep both ISOs and file tree
is important because people may want to do network install, or use urpmi
on a daily basis with all the changes. ISOs are only made a very precise
time when the distro is stable enought.

> *BEHOLD*

> <snip>
> Jigdo (which stands for "Jigsaw Download") was written by Richard Atterer and
> is released under the GNU GPL. It's a tool that allows efficient downloading
> and updating of an ISO image. Any ISO image. Jigdo is not Debian specific,
> however Debian has chosen it to be the prefered method of downloading ISO
> images.  http://atterer.net/jigdo
> </snip>

> *PLEASE* look into this as an option to replace mkcd.  It would save tons of
> money in hosting and bandwidth as well as providing a much better tool for
> the end user.

This is not the mkcd goal to ease download, use rsync for that.

--
Warly