Leon Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The command adds the journal to the filesystem as a hidden file
> without bringing it on line. I've done this on countless systems
> live without problems.

the point is that if you enable journaling on a journal that *may*
have already errors, since you will now skip fsck on reboot, you
cannot rely on journalling to fix these errors, only to ensure fs
operations operate smoothly.
the problem is that if your fs has errors, you may end in corrupting
your fs, though the kernel'll probably warn that some metadata look
"strange".

i agree this is fine for most people to live enabling journaling, but
there's a risk.

so better let reboot in single mode, check your fses and then only
enable journalling.