My LM9.0 SMP server locked up hard this evening, and I couldn't get it
to boot and stay up.

Booting into single-user and (after some research) doing "df -i" showed
650K out of 650K inodes in use. I tracked them down to
/var/spool/cups/tmp. There were many, many, gs_* files there. (I wrote a
script to remove them and it's been at it for several hours. Release 80K
so far).

I found many instances of the following in the logs:

Oct 14 12:21:48 neuron ptal-mlcd: ERROR at ExMgr.cpp:2469,
dev=<mlc:usb:officejet_d_series@/dev/usb/lp[0-9]*>, pid=1271,
e=2         Couldn't find device: llioOpenOne failed!

This error appears when cups is running but the officejet is turned off
or unplugged. I'm guessing the inodes problem and the cups error are
related. Thoughts?

Rich
--
ars Cognita   Richard Tango-Lowy