[...]

From: dams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Frederic Soulier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>] Re: [Cooker] LM9.0:
PCMCIA network cards & WEP
To: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed Oct 16 12:46:40 2002 +0200

[...]

This option (accessible in drakconnect in expert mode) enable the track system
from redhat.

history :
We wanted to develop an system to associate the correct ifcfg-ethx to
the correct interface.

The pb :
let say you have a laptop with one pcmcia card : card_home.
at home, you start your laptop, your network, and card_home is interfaced to eth0.
perfect. At work, you plug your laptop on its station, that has a additional
network card, that we call card_work. You start your laptop, and the card_work
is interfaced to eth0, and card_home to eth1.

The pb is that the ifcfg-eth0 reflects the config of card_home, and is linked
to card_work.

Solution :
have a program called after the cards has been interfaced, and before the
network has been started. It will check the module and the mach address of the
interfaces (ethx). And it will swap the configuration so that they reflect the
correct interfaces. To do that, you have to add the module and the mach address
in the ifcfg-ethx files. That what the option does.

This solution was planed, but were never coded (afaik) at mandrakesoft. It
seems that redhat introduced the same thing, and we included it in the network
configuration. However, I never looked at this, nor tested it.

--
dams

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/