--- Austin Acton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If people understand the difference between KDE and
> Mandrake, it will no
> be confusing, i.e. Mandrake tools for system
> (install/remove fonts), and
> KDE tools for KDE (aliasing, font sizes).  My point
> was that it's good
> for people to learn this difference.  Unless of

true

> course KDE and Mandrake
> someday DO become one product, then I'll stop using
> it.  :-)
> And what if they decide to switch to gnome.  They

Then I'll stop using it :o)

> will have an instantly
> biased view against gnome because the font tools are
> not all in one

Ideally it could integrate into KControl or
Gnome-Control-Center.  As I understand it they already
have that capability for panel applets.  This is
something KDE and GNOME need to get worked out first
though.

> place.  Same with IceWM or whatever.  And it won't

GO Ice :D

> be gnome's fault at
> all, it will be Mandrake's.
>

> > Another possibility is to get rid of the control
> center and make a folder
> > called 'control panel' where we put both the drak*
> tools and the KDE config
> > things.  It would look kinda like Windows's
> control panel.
>
> Now this is a much better idea.  Group similar
> concepts together.  That
> way if you have gnome installed, gnome tools show up
> in MCC (or whatever
> it's called), and KDE tools as well.  Again though,
> this may confuse
> people... eg. why do I have to be su to change MY
> font size?...

That'd just make another level of indirection to get
to config stuff, unless it's like the rpmdrake family
where you can still get to the components directly.

> I still think educating the user in a very intuitive
> way is a better
> idea that handing out an easy solution (read:
> cover-up) that won't help
> him at all on another distro, or another machine, or
> another version of
> MDK.

I agree with that.