With a stock Mandrake 9 install I could not get the nvidia graphics drivers
to run for a long time.
(Nor could i get the nv driver to work.  The only driver that worked was the
framebuffer driver.)

The main problem seems to be the current bios (1.004).

Downgrading to 1.001 allowed the nvidia binary drivers to work.  (I think I
found this suggested solution on Nvidia's bulletin board.)  I sent an email
to Asus asking them to fix their current bios, but well I wouldn't count on
that.  A friend of mine said that abit's nforce counterpart doesn't have
those problems in linux.  I don't know how it would work with Mandrake.

At any rate I don't think its a cooker problem, but perhaps knowing this
will help someone.  If there is interest I can post my installation steps
for Mandrake 9.

One cooker problem I did see, is the installer found the nforce network
card, but wasn't able to load it.  Installing the nvidia binary nforce
drivers and doing a drakconnect fixed all that.

The nforce chipset seems to make a very nice small server, once you get all
the drivers to work.

-Robert