On 25 Oct 2002 22:14:43 +0200
Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
>
> First, this is probably related to the fact that mkinitrd of your
> kernel installation failed, so simply running mkinitrd without re
> running lilo won't make your machine boot.

Case history:

I rpm -e kernel-2.4.19.17mdk
  delete 2419-17 entry in lilo and run lilo

rpm -Uvh mkinitrd-3.1.6-33mdk.i586.rpm

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.19.17mdk
  installs without error
  verify entries in /boot and lilo and run lilo

Reboot and select 2419-17
  Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Reboot with working kernel
  delete file /boot/initrd-2.4.19-17mdk.img
  run /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.19-17mdk.img 2.4.19-17mdk
  no errors or warnings
  run lilo
Reboot and select 2419-17
  Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

  Boot sequence leading to panic:
Mounting root filesystem with flag notail
mount: missing device
ERROR: failed in exec of auto
ERROR: auto exited abnormally
pivotroot: pivot_root [/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd] failed: 2
Remounting devfs in correct place if necessary
Mounted devfs om /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory 140K freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

This system will boot with any 'old' installed kernel but will not with
Any 'newly' installed kernel.

If there is other or more detailed info that I can provide which might
offer a clue as to the problem, let me know and I will try to provide.

I realize that this problem may be system specific, since I have
installed and booted kernel-2.4.19.17 on 2 others without problem.
But since this is my main use system any/all help will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

    Charles

When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all.
                -- Roger Zelazny, "Doorways in the Sand"
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]