Just to confirm what someone else posted, using the stock tux.org
kernel has corrected our problems with mpg123, ogg123 and xmms
dropping files mid-song; we can now run /multiple/ OpenOffice
documents and mozilla at the same time in 256M, and the whole system
just seems a lot faster.

I haven't tested exhaustively (I need to fill the flash with some
images ;) but with a few images, the flash-card USB problem is also
solved. All in all, it appears that for our Dell L700CXE computers,
the kernel shipped with 9.0 and the #17mdk update contain VM-poison.

If it helps debug this, I am appending my .config

Gary Lawrence Murphy - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - TeleDynamics Communications
   - blog: http://www.teledyn.com/mt/ - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -
  "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." (Picasso)