On Sunday 03 November 2002 03:06, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2002 04:47 am, David Walser wrote:
>
> Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The recent Konqueror ( 3.1 rc1 ) just hangs when trying to load
> > Netscape plugins. The nspluginviewer process is in the 'D' state,
> > probably blocking some system resources, and the worst is that
> > there is no way to remove such process but by rebooting the system.
> > Anybody with the same problem?
>
> Probably locking on sound. Try killing your sound daemon (probably artsd)
> and see what happens.

When Konqueror is already locked, there is no help to kill artsd. After I try
to kill it, even 'ps' just stalls there, and there is even no possibility to
reboot - the system just stalls waiting for some process to finish. Keyboard
reacts and all that, but no advancement. But, when I stop artsd before I try
to load the site, the plugins work. I'll try to play with artsd options -
let's see what the reason may be. As I guess, artsd tries to lock /dev/dsp,
and then nspluginviewer just stalls while waiting for /dev/dsp to be freed.
But why the hell artsd  should behave like this in case of SB Live!? There is
no reason to lock /dev/dsp as there are 32 channels. There is almost no
reason for artsd even to exist in this case - as the sound channel mixing is
done in HARDWARE.

--

Regards,
Alex Chudnovsky