On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:06:01AM +0100, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> Aha, yeah..., this is stupid... The files in the %files sections are in there
> but uncommented _for a reason_. I call for a patch to disable this stupidity
> in latest RPM, either that or have rpmlint see/fix it.

Actually they patched rpm to put it in.  *sigh*
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-changelog&m=103704222426951&w=2

> Thanks Ben. _That_ should have been included in the global macros.

I doubt they are going to put it in the global macros.

Like I said this should be a warning.  You can't do it at rpmlint time
because rpmlint doesn't have access to what files were installed during
the %install phase.  So it has to be done in the build process.

All that is going to happen with this is that people are going to turn
it off in the rpmmacros or in every spec file and then nobody sees the
warnings and nobody fixes the missing files that it's intended to fix.
Frankly rpm should do what we tell it to do.  Even if it's something
stupid.  Stupid things tend to allow creative solutions to problems.

Mandrake has so many better things to worry about.  My 9.0 install has
116 packages that violate the lib policy installed.  Many packages ship
with spelling errors that rpmlint catches.  So let's work on getting
packagers (employees or not) to pay attention to the warnings that are
emitted and to run rpmlint.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

"If you're not making any mistakes, you're flat out not trying hard
enough." - Jim Nichols