Here is what I found on the web about ACPI & Compaq presario 2800 laptops :

form the page http://www.scrye.com/~kevin/presario-2800.html

+=======================================================================
Seems that the ACPI bios compaq has in the laptop is not right, so the ACPI
linux drivers don't see it.

In order to get it working, first you need to dump the tables from the bios to
something we can edit, using: pacpidump once you have a acpi.asl file, edit
it and replace all "*PNP" with "PNP" and change "C11C" to "BAT1" and "C11B"
to "BAT2" and "C11A" to "ACAD".

Once you have that get the iasl util from intel at: iasl-linux-20020725 and
run it on the asl file: iasl -tc -bb -i dsdt.asl This will produce a dsdt.hex
file.

Apply the following kernel diff to your kernel source: 2800-acpi.patch
Recompile and reboot and you should have ACPI support.

I don't really understand the purpose of all the steps, but hope this can
help.

Sebastien.