On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:40, francesco.melo wrote:
> John Johnson wrote:
>
> >Frederic,
> >A check of ~/.xsession-errors show no error messages. I see that at least
> >one other person (Quel Qun) is having the same problem.

I have a similar problem. Since updating last sunday, I cannot start
gnome. I've tried moving my .gnome2 tree out of the way, but this has no
effect, and trying another user on the same machine has the same
problem: Starting gnome seems to hang at the point the panel is
started.  There seem to be a number of tries to start the panel, before
giving up altogether, and staying on with a blank screen with the busy
cursor.

I've attached my .xsession-errors, in case someone can make any sense of
it...

Wouter

--
Wouter Lagerweij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
** (process:7551): WARNING **: CORBA_ORB_destroy: ORB still has 2 refs.

** (process:7551): WARNING **: ORB: a total of 6 refs to 5 ORB objects were leaked
SESSION_MANAGER=local/om.lagerweij.com:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7456
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)

(gnome-panel:7571): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)

** (gnome-panel:7571): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 66 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
Bug in window manager: Unexpected X error: BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length erro serial 47 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7600): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 78 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

** (gnome-panel:7600): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7605): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7605): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7609): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7609): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 66 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7614): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7614): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7616): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7616): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 66 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7623): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7623): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7625): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7625): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7629): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'nautilus' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 64 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

** (gnome-panel:7629): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7634): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7634): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
  (Details: serial 226 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20)
aborting...

(gnome-panel:7638): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_icon_size_register_alias: Icon size 8 does not
exist

** (gnome-panel:7638): WARNING **: Unable to load panel stock icon 'go'

[...]

The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :1.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 7557, errno = 0