On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hmm.  must be from the days when you had to enter special codes for each key stroke.
Please reply BELOW the message!

> Quoting Steve Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 01:19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > the name "urpmi" does sound stupid, like somebody belching.  why do
> > > linux programmers give their software such silly names?  guess they
> > > dont have sales or packaging departments
> >
> > Because it's fewer keystrokes! :)
> >
> > GNOME 2.0 went and renamed all their tools with more sane names, and so
> > did the new Red Hat 8 configuration tools.
> >
> > gcalc => gnome-calculator
> > gfontsel => gnome-font-viewer
> >
> > redhat-config-samba
> > redhat-config-httpd
> >
> > So there is still hope!
Not really, it defeats the readline completion feature...
I.e. "Do you really want me to show all <gazillion> possibilities..." :-)

[snip]

[repeat:]
> hmm.  must be from the days when you had to enter special codes for
> each key stroke.
No, being faithful to heritage and Unix philosophy...
(which doesn't mean it is Old and Crusty as the Beast wants you to believe.)
It stems from the day Unix could fit in an <20k core and 12" floppies.
Programmers are lazy/louzy typists...obviously Thompson and Ritchie too :-)
  The real reason is probably the tool-philosophy of Unix for which you
don't want long filenames when piping commands together in a string of
commands. Of course, it does not directly apply to single
end-applications...
  Anyway, if you really want to tie design to marketing (we know what that
leads to) you better focus on the GUI these days ;->

Open source should stay with the Genetic Algorithm approach : slow but
steady, untrendy and total coverage.

Sorry, is there a Mandrake-advocacy list? :-)

Guy Bormann