At 12:01 PM 1/10/03 -0500, you wrote:

>ShoreWall is (IMHO) awful.  I install it only because I
>think it was required by some other package, but I
>"chkconfig --del" it, and keep a copy of Bastille rpms
>handy to do the job.

My guess is that Mandrake switched to Shorewall because
the config files are way easier to change by program.
Also Bastille is doing additionnal security that could conflict
with other Mandrake software, while Shorewall does only
one thing, network.

This said, I was liking Bastille-firewall well, but after using
Shorewall for some time, I have come to find its config files
more logical and easy to change than the Bastille ones.
Did you really try to learn Shorewall ? Many people are
just refusing novelty.

I have only tested one time the connection sharing (I have
only one Windows machine behind my Linux box and I don't
think that this OS deserves a place on the Internet) during the
9.0 beta and it basically worked (the only problem was that the
damn thing can't be switched off). I have no idea if it works with
current Cooker.

Gerard