On 9 Jan 2003, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/cooker/ifplugd-0.11-1mdk.i586.rpm
>
> this stuff seems to use the  ETHTOOL_GLINK code to detect if link
> down/up from the ETHTOOL kernel interface.

According to the readme:
- Supports the Linux SIOCETHTOOL (newer, aka ethtool API), SIOCGMIIREG
  (older, aka mii-diag/mii-tool API) and SIOCDEVPRIVATE (oldest, aka
  mii-tool API) ioctl()s for getting link status.

So, AFAIK (ianakh) all drivers *should* support it, but don't.

> Last time we tried to use that stuff it had numerous problems with
> some network cards that has been not converted to the ethtools
> interface.

Well, maybe it's time to find out which drivers don't support it, and try
and get the maintainer to fix it?

> Maybe things changed since then but i am not sure of the safeness of
> this code for all network cards.

Well, someone's got to try it, so we might as well try and collect the
evidence, and if it works for a significant number (specifically laptop
cards) then it may be worth spending more effort on.

Buchan