On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Frederic Crozat wrote:

> Le Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:09:30 +0100, Chmouel Boudjnah a écrit :
>
> > "Frederic Crozat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> Small correction : it uses ethtool interface if available, otherwise, it
> >> tries mii-tool old interface..
> >
> > does it mean '0 error case' of detection when link is down ?
>
> I don't know :((
>
> There are even some network cards which don't work correctly with
> mii-tool, and of course, I have one at home : 3C905B fails to
> autonegociate and always report cable link is down..

Is it possible to fix it, and if so how much effort would it be (assuming
we have enough people to test most of the drivers)?

On 3c589_cs:
$ mii-tool
SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported
no MII interfaces found
$ ifstatus -v eth0
SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not supported)
SIOGGMIIPHY failed (Operation not supported)
SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

On ne2k-pci:
[root@bgmilne bgmilne]# mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
[root@bgmilne bgmilne]# ifstatus  -v eth0
eth0:
    SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not supported)
    SIOGGMIIPHY failed (Operation not supported)
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

On 8139too:
[bgmilne:~]# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
[bgmilne:~]# ifstatus  -v eth0
eth0:
    SIOCETHTOOL: link beat detected
    SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE: link beat detected

> This caused RH to
> disable mii-tool check in network initscript when using DHCP for RH 8.0
> and with Mdk 9.0, we can't use DHCP with this card without patching ifup
> :((

But surely if mii-tool works on a card, then use it to determine whether
or not to dhcp, if not, dhcp anyway? Or is it not that simple?

Buchan