Buchan Milne a écrit:
Austin Acton wrote:

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 17:55, Christophe Combelles wrote:

--> the login takes between 3 and 5 seconds.

Hehe, there was some discussion about this a while ago.  I forget where
it was, but it was 'gentoo is SO much faster' people against 'Mandrake
and gentoo are the same speed' people.  The discussion (fight?) kinda
ended with: well, it takes half a second to login to gentoo and five
seconds on Mandrake... end of story.

Did they compare how long it took a Gentoo user to figure out all the
groups he/she had to be in to access devices???

This is pam_console, setting perms on devices, I guess you would rather
make yourself member of usb,audio,cdwriter, etc etc to get the same
functionality???
But why is it necessary to change the perms of the devices ??
This should be only a matter of groups.

For example /dev/mixer should always belong to root:audio with perms crw-rw----, and a user should be in the group audio.
So even ater login, the /dev entry has not been changed, but only the users of the group audio could access /dev/mixer.
And when a user is created, it should automatically belong to a series of standard groups like audio, etc.