Leon Brooks wrote:
> I personally think that:
>
>  1. Mandrake will survive their little crisis handily; and
>
>  2. Mandrake the distro and MandrakeSoft would both benefit if they
>     took a leaf out of Debian's book.
>
> Mandrake has the most intense and generally loyal user community of any
> commercial Linux distro. Debian has the most intense and loyal of any, full
> stop.

A lot of your suggestions already do occur, at least unofficially and in
my experience ... dependant on the packager (aka Sly is quite happy to
take samba SRPMs from me and rebuild with no changes).

But, I agree, it should be formalised and managed. Lenny needs to scale.

Also, I think it would be useful to have a stable-release bugilla, or at
least allow bug reports against stable releases in bugzilla, but those
reports would not be cc'ed to cooker, but to a stable-maintainers list.
Vince has mentioned the need for this on the expert list.

> And hey, it's kind of happening anyway, in some degree. Isn't it, Texstar,
> Ranger, Borg, Pengiun Liberation Front, Thac and others? Why not have a plan
> for managing all that positive energy?

Ranger (me in case you've missed my sig) hardly packages anything that
doesn't first go to MandrakeClub on it's way to contrib ... but I'm
maintaining a few too many already (and can't believe how Gotz,
Guillaume Rousse and a few others maintain so many packages, I still
have about 5 on my rebuild list ...). I would like to see Thac's RPMs
(at least those on Club, maybe more) in contrib (ardour etc), and surely
Gotz or someone could get his stuff in in the meantime? And it would be
cool to see kernel maintainers take more patches from contributors
(Danny's work on the kernel in MandrakeClub has been very good, Juan
could have a working supermount and maybe even preempt kernel with very
little effort on his part).

PLF is well maintained, and incompatible with being in a distro, so
should stay as it is.

Would love to see Tex and Borg cooperating with the rest (ie not
building packages that conflict with PLF packages etc).

Buchan