H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Friday 17 January 2003 11:22, Marcel Pol wrote:

> But what's the point of having a shared scanner?

Same could mostly be said for a shared printer (assuming users only
print a few pages at a time.

I find it useful, and other Mandrake users would like to do it, but it's
currently a mission to setup.

> You still physically have to put your original on the glass plate and making
> multiple scans of the same original doesn't happen that often.

But if you are scanning multiple items that are smaller (say 3 or 4
photos at a time) it is worthwhile. In many non-graphic-houses, users
only need to scan seldomly (once a month maybe), and only one or two
pages. Walking to the scanner 5 times takes less time than finding the
shared scanner and making sure the software is installed.

> In those rare cases a telnet or ssh session would suffice wouldn't it?

My mom can't use ssh, but she can use sane-twain (well, just hit the
scan button) on Windows.

Buchan