Charlie wrote:

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 06:14 pm, Adam Williamson wrote:

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 01:09, Pixel wrote:

Pixel - I'm not sure this is your / DrakX's fault =). I noticed Cooker
starting doing this on my machine a few days back. I have a DVD-ROM /
CD-ROM (no writing functions) as /dev/hdc on this machine, and a CDRW
drive as /dev/hdd. Up until recently this was correctly setup by
Cooker, with /dev/hdc left alone and the CDRW put through ide-scsi as
/dev/scd0. However, just recently, for some reason, both of my drives
are being run through the ide-scsi emulation, so now the DVD-ROM comes
up as /dev/scd0 and the CDRW is /dev/scd1. I think it may be some kind
of kernel bug - I think it started happening the last time I upgraded
the kernel. Is anyone else in the same situation (with some CDRW drives
and some not-RW drives) with the same issue? Unfortunately I don't know
how ide-scsi is configured so I don't know where to start looking for
the problem...:/

:-(

try booting with "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-cdrom" (or maybe hdd=ide-cd)

Er, do you mean the other way around? As I said, it's hdc that's meant
to stay as an IDE device, and hdd that's meant to be scsi-fied :). If
you do, I'll try that out next time I reboot, and report back.

I just did (both ways hdc=ide-cd and hdc=ide-cdrom) and there's no difference. Interesting thing though, now I get a red "failed" at the devfs mounting local filesystems "no medium found" warning. Floppy drive tries to run at boot now too. I have no access to any removable media now at all. The floppy may have been part of it previously. Yep, I just checked the copy of mtab I saved and what's at /etc/mtab now, the same exactly.

<sigh> What to look for now?

check your lilo.conf or boot config module in MCC for an append request for hdc, i.e.:

hdc=ide-scsi

if there, remove, reboot 2-3 times and see if reappears. If is from a boot module, reboot should trigger recreate, if not then it might stay away.

grub.menu ditto. grub can grab data from lilo.conf if invoked\linked in after lilo was used for boot loader.

John.