Charlie wrote:

Before I started mucking around trying to make the system recognize the CD drives all that was in the append line of lilo.conf was:

"devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
which is correct. That's my Mitsumi CR-4804 TE CD-RW. Harddrake still claimed that the CD-ROM drive (Liteon LTN 403L) was a scsi drive. and showed the CD-RW not at all. Plus I kept seeing this or something like it in the logs:

Jan 21 13:04:02 localhost kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
Jan 21 14:31:18 localhost last message repeated 14 times
Jan 21 14:42:38 localhost last message repeated 36 times
Jan 21 14:53:40 localhost last message repeated 36 times

which makes sense when the thing is mis-identified.

Yes, this does make sense this way. Plus, I learn things this way, too (make suggestions given my level of knowledge, see why things work different by looking at replies and taking correction and amplification into account) ... :) Thanks.

if there, remove, reboot 2-3 times and see if reappears. If is from a
boot module, reboot should trigger recreate, if not then it might stay
away.

I chased every file I could think of all day trying to make things work correctly, then re-installed 9.1beta2 on a new 40 GB drive that had nothing on it at all. Same thing.

The addition of hdc=ide-cdrom (thanks Pixel!) seems to have improved things. I'll report back after I reboot again since I just installed the latest initscripts. My fingers are crossed.

grub.menu ditto. grub can grab data from lilo.conf if invoked\linked in
after lilo was used for boot loader.

John.

Thanks John.
If I think I can contrib, will try. Welcome for what little I could do.