Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>>Of course, if you could use it without a mouse (so one could
>>configure a mouse when the mouse isn't working!) that would be much
>>better ...
>

> drakxconf is usable without a mouse since it works smoothly as a gui
> well as on the console

Sure, but I was meaning in X!

>>How difficult would it be to make drakxconf take keyboard input
>>(probably easier than drakconf).
>

> it's already the case :-)

Please. Consider something that affects new users who have only ever
used Windows (and Windows has had this since Windows 95, yes, that's 7
years ago!).

1)Windows almost always gives you a GUI. In the worst cases, you may
have to use safe mode. Only if you're an MCSE are you supposed to know
about things like the recovery console (on win2k).

2)You can fix anything from the gui without a mouse. Even the mouse.

3)90% of new users of Mandrake are lost if X doesn't start (see some of
the recent bug reports for examples where people think the installation
failed because X didn't start).

So, how about addressing some of this, by:
a)If X keeps crashing, start X in vesa mode, starting up XFdrake or
drakxconf or similar to try and fix the config
b)Allow a user to configure a mouse in this mode without a mouse
c)Have the failsafe boot option pass a parameter to the dm service which
starts it like this by default.

For a distribution aiming at converting existing windows users, you
really need to make it *seem* bullet-proof. We all know it is,
convincing point-and-clickers that it is means ensuring that if they
wanted a GUI, they *always* get one, and can fix *anything* (besides
fsck of course, which even windows can't do in a GUI) with GUI tools.

Buchan