hmmm... at some point during the past few weeks I had done a new install of cooker into its own partition and found that applnk-mdk/ was empty. I deleted it and made it a symlink to applnk/ , but that didn't really work very well. Then I deleted the applnk-mdk directory and ran update-menu's and presto it was back, looking normal. Perhaps there is some permissions problem going on with the applnk-mdk folder that is preventing update-menus from working right, or I did some update that fixed the original problem.
or, perhaps the code in update-menus that generates the konqueror.desktop file is broke. If copying the file fixes the problem, then it does have to do with whatever code creates the applnk-mdk/ directory tree.

Scott

oh no not more update-menus mayhem! i thought we'd just about got rid of the disappearing menu's and now this :)

cheers
cris.