We're completing our LDAP setup now, in conjunction with the samba-ldap
packages, and it is really starting to work well (except for the small
niggles such as with ssh/ssl etc).

So, I am trying to make setting up an LDAP server easier, and I would
also appreciate feedback on the samba-ldap stuff from others who are
using it (or just LDAP, but might want better tools).

I don't know if it's appropriate for this list, and may be too
high-volume for [EMAIL PROTECTED], so if you're interested in
working on these issues, mail me off-list (unless significant numbers
think it should stay on-list) and I will cc everyone tomorrow to get going.

In the meantime, here is the wizard I have started on. I am not sure if
drakwizard is rich enough for this (we will need a password entry field,
which I don't think drakwizard supports, and for importing ldap entries
a progress dialog would be nice), but I think it's worth a start.

However, since I'm not good with perl, it would help if someone who is
could lend a hand, I can tell you exactly what I need done, and
prototype in bash ...

To try the drakwizard:
1)urpmi drakwizard

2)Get this:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/cooker/drakwizard-ldap-0.0.20030130.tar.gz

and untar it in /usr/share/wizards

Goal is to provide a gui that does all the basics:
1)Setup ldap server in master or slave
1a)if master, be able to import data from the system (with
openldap-migration and another script for samba users)
1b)If slave, be able to import data from the master via 'ldapsearch -x
-h master -D "$rootdn" -w "$rootpw"|su ldap - -c "slapadd -c"
2)Be able to add/remove slave servers to a master server, so that you
can setup a slave server in 1b (prompting when to do what on the other
machine).

Regards,
Buchan