On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 11:38, Buchan Milne wrote:
> But does *everything*, or only jackd, need to run as root?

Again, the problem is that jack applications can only connect to jackd
running under the same uid.  I tried it.

So if you want to run your application as user, you have to run jackd as
user.  In our current setup there is no way of running jackd as user and
access FIFO or the scheduler.

Fernando has made a patched kernel at Planet CCRMA (for RedHat), which
solves this problem.  I don't know how we could implement the same
solution without sacrificing security, but I'm sure it's possible.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant