Passing acpi=off at the install bootprompt solved this problem. No idea why. Why would one want acpi for the install? And how would one work this out other than by trial and error and experience of typical Mandrake weaknesses?

Cheers,

Bruno Prior

Bruno Prior wrote:
We just tried to install 9.1beta3 to our new server (a Gigabyte board
with an HPT372 controller). We can't even get to the first stage of
installation. After lilo, the system tries to load for around 5 seconds
before rebooting. First drive and DVD-ROM is on the onboard controller.
Second drive is on the HPT372. So the HPT372 shouldn't really matter at
that stage of the installer, but something is screwing it up.

Incidentally, installation of 9.0 also fails, because the system claims
not to be able to find the CD-ROM drive (the one it is installing from)
and asks what SCSI module we want to load. ide-scsi etc. do not help.
Nor does passing ide=nodma or hdc=ide-cd.

Don't know if this is related to the original bug report, but the HPT372
seems to be trouble. We also cannot get hde running with a vanilla
2.4.20 kernel on gentoo. We are in the process of trying
2.4.21-pre4-ac1, in the hope the ac patch will help.

Bruno Prior