On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 20:09, Pixel wrote:
> > Bad: http install doesn't ask for a username, or doesn't default to
> > anonymous:[EMAIL PROTECTED], so I can't use http install on redbox.cz
> i don't undertand. Is that a proxy thingy?

When one tried to install via ftp, drakx asks for a username and
password for the server.  When one installs via http, it doesn't.  I
can't use it to access the mirrors.  (mandrake.redbox.cz for example),
so I just assumed it was a login problem or something.

Can YOU http install from one of the public mirrors?

> > Bad: network install doesn't properly configure urpmi database
> > Detail: this has been a problem for many versions.  I don't see why this
> > can't work.  I just installed from an ftp site, urpmi should be setup to
> > use that in the future.  The problem is that I logged in with
> > username: anonymous
> > passwork: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > and uprmi gets setup for
> > ftp://anonymous:[EMAIL PROTECTED]@mandrake.redbox.cz/......
> > I know it's nice to hide the password, but it's also stupid to have to
> > urpmi.remove that, and then urpmi.addmedia it right back.
>
> i think the password is there in /var/lib/urpmi/list.*,
> but francois is more authoritative on this

But you see, it's not the password that's encrypted.   It looks like
something has mistaken aacton as the password, and actually
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is the password.

Maybe my example is confusing.  Just do an ftp install, then try to use
urpmi right away.  It doesn't work.  I think it should.  If for no other
reason, it would look professional.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant