Le Vendredi 7 Février 2003 18:04, Gustavo Franco a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 20:28, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Well, we could try something like morethan one developper per package.
> > Actually, in Debian, only the packager can change something.
> > If you take a look to the changelog of any of our package, this is not
> > the way it works. This works for debian since they have a lot of
> > developpers. I think we should try something different for here,
> > something more flexible.
>
> It's wrong! If the package has a security flaw, the Debian Security Team
> can do a NMU.In "bug squashing parties" maintainers usually do NMUs.

Well, I know, but, it is only for security flaw, and since not everybody can
correct a security flaw, it is better to have a security team to do it.
I don't think I'm wrong when I say that is the way it work with all serious
vendors.

And a bug squashing party only occurs when the number of bugs is high.

What I had in mind is something a litle bit less strict.

Something more than the way that KDE works, with write access to a pool of
file, for each developper.
The association "1 file = 1 developper " is not true for this case, maybe
something like this should be tried. Something like ( this is a draft ) :
"everybody can change a package, with CVS,and the maintener choose if the
change is taken in account, or not".
In fact, just consider that the spec files of the distribs in the same way we
consider source code for free software project.

This not explained very well, I agree.

> Do you known about Co-Maintainers ? :)

No, I didn't know.
I don't know all Debian subtilities, only those some people have been talking
about with me. But well, you can explain us :-).
Or any debian developper reading this mail....

> See, i'm an apllicant, i've some packages sponsored by a
> maintainer(developer).I'm not officially a developer, only a applicant
> waiting the DAM approval in the nm queue.But i've packages in the
> distribution!

I would say this work the same for Mandrake, but, in fact, I don't know how to
become a contrib mainteners. But, on the other hand, i didn't ask on this
list, or on irc.
I agree with you to say this is a good way to do it.
And this is exactly what should be done for Mandrake.

> > > PS: Some friends have always argued that the debian way is the only
> > > sustainable way to go. If mdk is going to do it just like debian, why
> > > not fold and move the idea's and effort into making debian a better
> > > distro instead of duplicating the effort?
>
> Sorry, but i've the same view!

Don't be sorry. I don't agree, but, I may be wrong.
This is duplication, but, Gnome and KDE too, and , this is good to have
choice, don't you think ?

But, I don't think we need to be a carbon copie of Debian.
Debian is not the only volunteers OS project, everybody seems to forget
FreeBSD, and other, or even some smalls os, such as AtheOs, OpenBeOS, and
others, who don't work in the same way as Debian.

To give a example, OpenBSD choose to release Cd of the project each 6 months.

Some parts of Debian are great, some parts can be changed, and some parts
don't really correspond to the Mandrake's touch. Just my view on this.

> Do you known anything about Debian subprojects like: Debian Edu or
> Debian Desktop? You can help with the new installer, called: d-i based
> on cdebconf and start a new subproject or enhance a existing one.

Yes, I have talked of this almost one day each week with my teammate for 3
months during last fall. I don't think this is the place to talk about the
Debian Desktop project and, I know that if I want to help Debian, I will be
welcome.

But what I want is to help Mandrake. Because, if I wanted to use Debian and to
help Debian, I should have done it earlier.

--

Mickaël Scherer