Greg Meyer wrote:

> On Monday 10 February 2003 09:01 am, Buchan Milne wrote:
>
>>"You are using hardware that is not supported sufficiently by the vendor
>>to provide open-source drivers, and thus Mandrake Linux cannot fully
>>support this hardware in the download edition. Your hardware is however
>>supported fully in the Mandrake Linux packs, and the drivers are
>>available from the MandrakeClub".
>

> Good idea!
>
> How about
>
> "Some of your hardware (insert specific's) is from a vendor that prevents us
> from providing full support in the GPL download edition of the Mandrake Linux
> Distribution.  They have chosen to release their drivers under a proprietary
> license and MandrakeSoft cannot legally distribute them within a fully GPL
> compliant release.  You will find that this hardware will not work properly
> with the download edition until you acquire these proprietary drivers from
> the manufacturer.  As a service to our customers, some of these drivers are
> available in the Mandrake Linux boxed sets and as a download from the
> MandrakeClub"

Sure, the wording needs to be massaged, but the point that (if this is
the case, as it is with Nvidia) the hardware will work out-the-box on
Mandrake sets needs to be out across.

Ideally this would be true for my Lucent Technologies Winmodem (it's
quite high on the MandrakeClub voting list).

While we're discussing this, would anyone at Mandrakesoft like to make a
list of the hardware with proprietary or semi-proprietary drivers that
will be supported in the boxes? I would be very dissappointed to buy a
boxed set and not get ltmodem drivers out-the-box, even though it's
trivial to compile them (I recompiled last week for the kernel update on
9.0). It's the principle ...

Buchan