On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:10:20AM -0500, Greg Meyer wrote:
> "Some of your hardware (insert specific's) is from a vendor that prevents us
> from providing full support in the GPL download edition of the Mandrake Linux
> Distribution.  They have chosen to release their drivers under a proprietary
> license and MandrakeSoft cannot legally distribute them within a fully GPL
> compliant release.  You will find that this hardware will not work properly
> with the download edition until you acquire these proprietary drivers from
> the manufacturer.  As a service to our customers, some of these drivers are
> available in the Mandrake Linux boxed sets and as a download from the
> MandrakeClub"

Are we sure that it's a violation of the GPL to distribute those
drivers?  I really don't think that's the case.  And somehow I don't
think the situation is that nVidia wouldn't let Mandrake ship the
drivers.  I think it's more of a moral stance and an attempt to try and
force nVidia to open their drivers.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is
the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the
champion only of her own." -- John Quincy Adams, July 4th, 1821